- Do extend your time to visit the other wonders of Dunbar.
- Visit John Muir’s Birthplace and the Town House on the High Street.
- Enjoy the variety of shops that are available to you there.
- For the more energetic visit Dunbar’s Swimming Pool, (ideal for the family), or enjoy surfing off Spike Island on Belhaven Beach.
- Lauderdale Park can be recommended for younger members of the family with energy to burn off.
- For dogs and other walkers, enjoy the John Muir Way which follows the coast.
Local poet Lesley May Miller captures the magic of Dunbar Castle –
in afternoon blue
boys skip into the sea
tide swirls up the sand
bubbles thrown high in clear air
splash white sparks on the surface
boom and thud of waves
below ruined castle walls
basalt beats erosion
sunset deepens red sandstone
layered rock-beds tilting west
black bursts – stones scatter
volcano fractures skywards
ancient memories –
swords clang and slash
brushstroke scarlet on canvas